So you have booked your family photo session!! ROCK ON!! Check it off your list and feel super good about yourself. Ok, celebration over, time to buckle down and figure out what you and your honey dew drops are going wear!! Here are some of my favorite tips:
1) Deep breath. Some people stress over this WAY TOO MUCH. Your images are more about your shared emotion than about your boots. So rule #1: No stress allowed, and then move on to rule #2.
2) Coordinating colors ......No Matchy Matchy.
Dont show up with everyone in jeans and white shirts. I know that 80's are coming back, but this is a trend that needs to stay in the past. Instead, pick a couple of colors and choose clothes that will fit in this color scheme. In the fall... one of my favorites is Navy, Grey, and Cream. Classic, goes with everything, and most people already have a lot of this in their closets.
3) When picking out your colors, think about your home. What colors do you trend towards? What is going to "go" with your style? These images are going to end up on your wall. In lots of places. If your home in in neutral tones.... stay away from that neon shirt your 5 year old is rooting for. He is wrong. He is five. Momma??!! Why are you taking fashion advice from your 5 year old? We need to talk. You call me. Ok, moving along.
4) Easy on the patterns. Florals are really in right now and I LOVE them. That being said, don't go out and buy different floral patterns for you and your quintuplet girls. Your pictures will look like a bad case of wall paper. Maybe momma is in a flowy floral dress, and the girls are in coordinating colors with some accessories to tie things in.
5) This brings me to my next little tid bit. TEXTURE!!! Yes girl, you can add in some texture. Scarfs, belts, cardigan, blue jean jacket.... you know what I am talking about. Texture is like icing on a pretty cake. Little bit goes a long way.
6) Last of all: LOTS of stores now have different collections that correspond across different age groups. Last year, Target did an awesome job of having mustard, grey, navy, and cream in abundance. Shopping was a breeze and I had an excuse to hide from my children in Target for an hour at 9 pm at night.
PPS: This is my super awesome, for real Momma to Momma advice.: Honey, you give and give and give for these little munchkins. They are your life and your heart. You told Hubby that if he would just smile for 20 mins and help you get the rugrats to cooperate that you would give him ANYTHING for his birthday. Anything. Now the big moment arrives, and everyone is adorable, except.....you. You are wearing a navy sweater that you are going to return the moment the pics are done because you ONLY picked it out because it worked great with everyone else's outfit. NO NO NO. Momma, you did it wrong. Truth be told. It does not matter how cute your kiddos are. It doesn't matter that your hubby honey cakes cut off his man bun for the pictures.... just to make you happy. Sugar, BUY YOUR OUTFIT FIRST! Then make everyone else match you. Yep. You heard me. Because if you don't like how YOU look in these pictures.... you aren't going to like the pictures. You know I'm preaching gospel. You keep your family running. You make the magic happen. YOU GET TO LIKE HOW YOU LOOK IN FAMILY PICTURES. If you need help...ask me. Im here to make you feel beautiful. Give me a call. And be careful on what you promise your husband for his birthday....